Student Uniform Complaint Procedure

Anaheim Union High School District is primarily responsible for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. The California Education Code §§212.5, 221.5, 231.5, 262.3, and 48980[g], Title 5 of the California Code of regulations §§4620, 4621 4622, 4632, and Title 42 of the United States Code §2000d, et seq., Title 20 of the United States Code §1681, et seq., Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations §100.1 and 106.1, Title IX Education Amendments of 1972, Title VI Civil Rights Act of 1964, Rehabilitation Act of 1973 §504, Improving America’s Schools Act of 1994, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 are laws that prohibit your school from discriminating against you on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, ethnic group identification, race, ancestry, national origin, religion, color,  mental or physical disability or lack English.


Equal treatment must be given in the areas of:

  1. Classes you can take,
  2. the way you are treated in the classroom and on campus,
  3. counseling you receive,
  4. extracurricular activities you participate in; (however, there are rules for some special sports so check with your counselor, assistant principal or principal so there is no misunderstanding), and
  5. the special services you may be identified to receive.


These laws also protect you from sexual harassment, which means that no teacher, administrator, other school employee or student can make sexual advances to you. This means that they cannot touch you or speak to you in a sexual manner at school or school-sponsored events. If you have any questions regarding sexual harassment, check with your counselor, assistant principal or principal (Education Code §48980[g]). Referrals for legal assistance may be obtained from the Orange County Bar Association, by calling (949) 440-6700.

In addition, pursuant to Education Code section 52075, individuals may file a complaint alleging that the school district has not complied with the Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) requirements in the Education Code. A complaint may be filed anonymously if the complaint provides evidence or information leading to evidence to support an allegation of noncompliance with the requirements of the Education Code.

The Uniform Complaint Procedure provides direction for filing a complaint for the reasons listed as well as a complaint related to the implementation of the following programs, which are part of Title 5:

  • Adult education
  • Professional/vocational education
  • Consolidated categorical aid


*  No Child Left Behind (NCLB)

*  State Compulsory Education

*  State Program for Students of Limited English Proficiency

*  School Improvement

*  Tenth-Grade Counseling

*  Tobacco-Use Prevention Education

*  Peer Assistance and Review

*  School Safety and Violence Prevention Act

  • Migrant and Native American Education
  • Nutrition Services
  • Special Education
  • Discrimination
  • Harassment
  • Civil Rights Guarantees


You may file a complaint if you feel your rights have been violated. You will be protected from retaliation.


For your own protection and the protection of other people involved, the names of everyone involved must be kept confidential. You may inform your parents or your principal, but they, too, are bound by the same code of ethics.


The Complaint Procedure

Step 1 – Filing a Complaint

If you have a complaint, you are to submit it in writing to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources at the Anaheim Union High School District office, 501 Crescent Way, P.O. Box 3520, Anaheim, CA 92803-3520. Phone: 714-999-3544. The assistant superintendent shall be considered the representative of the District for the purposes of receiving and coordinating responses to complaints and related correspondence regarding this policy.

If you are unable to put a complaint in writing due to a condition such as illiteracy or disabilities, district staff will help you file the complaint.

Unlawful discrimination complaints shall be initiated no later than six (6) months from the date the alleged discrimination occurred, or the date the complainant first obtained knowledge of the facts of the alleged discrimination unless the time for filing is extended by the Superintendent or designee upon written request by the complainant. In a complaint of unlawful discrimination, a complainant has the right to seek civil law remedies after sixty (60) days have elapsed since filing an appeal with the California Department of Education.

The assistant superintendent will acknowledge receipt of the complaint and, if necessary, refer it to the appropriate site or district office, notifying the complainant of the person to whom it is being referred. The person(s) assigned to investigate complaints are knowledgeable about the law and programs that they are assigned to investigate.

Step 2 – Resolution of the Complaint

Each complaint shall be investigated by the appropriate site or district office and shall be resolved within sixty days of the original receipt of the written complaint unless an extension of the timelines has been agreed upon in writing by you. You may seek the assistance of local mediation centers or legal assistance agencies.


The site or District Office shall:

  1. Informally discuss with the complainant the possibility of using mediation.
  2. Hold an investigative meeting after receiving the complaint or after an unsuccessful attempt to mediate the complaint.
  3. Prepare and send to the complainant a written report of the district’s investigation and decision within sixty (60) calendar days of the district initially receiving the complaint.
  4. Inform the complainant of their right to appeal the district’s decision to the California Department of Education and the procedures to be followed for initiating an appeal.


Step 3 – Appeal Procedures

You may appeal the district’s decision to the California Department of Education by filing a written appeal with the State Superintendent, 1430 N. Street, Sacramento, CA 92814-4785 within fifteen (15) days after receiving the district’s decision. Extensions for filing appeals may be granted in writing for good cause.

  1. You shall specify the reason(s) for appealing the decision.
  2. The appeal shall include a copy of the original complaint and a copy of the district’s decision.


If you have any questions about your rights, call the office of the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources at (714) 999-3544, or write to:

Mr. Brad Jackson, Assistant Superintendent

Anaheim Union High School District

Human Resources

501 N. Crescent Way

Anaheim, CA 92803-3520


Copies of the district’s complaint procedures are available free of charge.